Savory Almond-Walnut Loaf
Crispy on the outside and warm and moist on the inside. This loaf surprises nearly all who eat it with its deep texture and hearty nutty flavor.
- 1 T Ener-G Egg Replacer*
- 2-4 T boiling filtered-water
- ¼ c + 1 T + 2 t Earth Balance Buttery Spread *
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 t dried thyme
- 2 t dried oregano
- 1 t dried sage
- 1 ¼ c almonds, ground medium fine
- 1 ¼ c walnuts, ground medium fine
- ¼ c golden or brown flax seeds*, finely ground
- 2/3 c quinoa flakes*
- 3/4 c filtered, hot water
- 1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 t sea salt
- 2 t freshly ground black pepper
- Optional – 2 t dried mushroom powder It is said that mushrooms add that “final punch” or umami to a recipe. If you use this, add it to the soaked quinoa and ground flax seed mixture.
- Coating for pan:
- 1 T refined coconut oil
- 2 T brown rice flour
- 2 T golden or brown flax seeds*, finely ground
- Preheat oven to 400, have ready a 9X5” glass loaf pan
- Place Ener-G Egg Replacer in medium size mixing bowl.
- Add 2-4 T boiling water and whisk to consistency of beat eggs.
- Add quinoa flakes, ¼ cup ground flax seeds to Ener-G Egg Replacer and 3/4 cup boiling water and mix well.
- Set aside for further use. If it gets really think and goopy, add more water just to make it more workable.
- Over medium heat, melt Earth Balance Buttery Spread in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and sauté until tender and lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add thyme, oregano and sage, stir for 2-3 minutes to allow spices to infuse.
- Remove from heat and transfer into a large bowl.
- Add following ingredients, mixing well after each addition: Ener-G Egg Replacer/quinoa flakes/flax seed mixture, lemon juice, salt, pepper, ground nuts.
- Mix until well blended – I like to use my bare hands.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 T ground flax seed and 2 T rice flour.
- Grease 9” X 5” glass loaf-pan with Earth Balance Buttery Spread.
- Coat pan with ground flax seed/rice flour.
- Press nut loaf mixture firmly into pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, remove loaf from oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Spread 2 t Earth Balance Buttery Spread on top of loaf, return to oven and bake another 10-15 or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, cool for 5-10 minutes to allow loaf to firm up.
- Slice and enjoy.
One of my friends has made this recipe into Balls. Every time I see her she reminds me how much she loves it. If making the loaf, you can turn leftovers into a sandwich. This recipe is great with a Vegan Onion Gravy. [br][br]Left-Over Serving Suggestions: Slice and make sandwiches Slice and shallow fry Cover and heat up in 300 oven for 15-20 minutes and eat as you did on day one * Ener-G Egg Replacer is a powdered egg substitute that can be used in baking both savory and sweet recipes. Ingredients: potato starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose [br][br]* Earth Balance Buttery Spread is a Non GMO (genetically modified organism), non-hydrogenated vegan margarine that is great in taste and healthier than other margarines. [br][br]* Flax Seeds, golden and brown. Delicious and crunchy with a pleasant taste, flax seeds are packed full of nutrients: omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, minerals and essential vitamins. They can be used as an egg replacer: 1 T ground flaxseeds to 1-3 T hot water (depending on how finely ground) for one egg. [br][br]* Quinoa was of great importance in the diet of pre-Columbian Andean civilizations. Its protein content is very high (14% by mass) and considered to be a complete protein. It is also high in magnesium, iron and calcium. It is a tiny seed with a light, fluffy texture when cooked and has a mild, slightly nutty flavor. There are at least three varieties: red, white and black.